ePiX TNG

A preliminary tarball of ePiX TNG (the Next Generation) is available:

  http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang/software/epix2-07.29.05.tar.bz2

There's not a huge amount of functionality (and no documentation) yet,
essentially nothing high-level, but it can draw triangles, quadrilaterals,
and disks in color, with hidden object removal, create multiple scenes in
memory, and place them in specfied page locations.  The fundamental
large-scale structure is "Picture", which possesses a screen and camera,
much like current ePiX. Objects are created and manipulated, then manually
added to a Picture. There's a "global" Screen called page which represents
layout in the output file. A scene is written after it's been constructed
completely, rather than piece by piece as objects are added. The output
format is PSTricks, which has a much higher feature-to-file size ratio
than eepic. :)

The file test.cc contains a handful of samples, which are selected via
macros near the top. Uncommenting "MULTI_IMAGE" draws cross-your-eyes
stereograms that illustrate page markup. The target "make test" creates a
previewable eps file. The easiest way to compile input files is probably

  elaps -I.  -L.  -lepix2 my_epix2_file.cc

As always, I'd be grateful for bug reports, suggestions, and/or feedback.
Once there's a stable base (debugged, low-level drawing capability), more
useful/friendly features should be easy to code. At present, there's no
plotting or typography, and a bunch of cruft (completely hidden objects,
redundant style declarations, etc.) is left in the output file. Your
mileage *will* vary depending on your version of GhostScript. :)

--Andy

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang@mathcs.holycross.edu
Department of Math and CS	http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)