Re: Isoclines

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Gunnar wrote:

> > If I understand correctly, you want to draw level curves of f(x,y).  One
> > trick that's worked for me is to compute J(grad f), the gradient of f
> > rotated a quarter turn, then to draw solution curves of the resulting
> > planar ODE. It's not elegant;
> Thank you for your solution, but if that's not elegant, then what is my
> solution included below? Ugly?

Certainly not ugly, just programmed at a low level. :)

By "not elegant", I meant that (unlike for, say, slope fields) you can't
just say something like

  isoclines(<short list of sensible arguments>);

and get a nice-looking plot. A lot of ad hoc tweaking is required to get
the curves plotted attractively.

Best,
Andy

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang@mathcs.holycross.edu
Department of Math and CS	http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)