Re: Size of produced eps

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Gunnar wrote:

On Thursday 14 April 2005 18.37, Jacques L'helgoualc'h wrote:
Andrew D. Hwang wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Gunnar wrote:
I just wonder how the size of the produced eps-file can be so large.
From a 731 byte file to 113 kb. eps.

Dear Gunnar,

elaps runs the command "dvips -f [...]" to create (encapsulated)
PostScript, and the huge output file size is a real annoyance. I'm pretty
sure there are PostScript experts subscribed to the list; anyone have a
fix for this? :)

I'm not a PostScript expert, but

 sed -i -e '/^%%BeginPreview/,/^%%EndPreview/d' Gunnar-example.ps

reduces the size to 40K ; then there is the font part...

So it would perhaps be better just to produce eepic files and include them in
my LaTeX document?

Dear Gunnar!

The bad guy producing large PostScript is not dvips but ps2epsi which is used by elaps and adds the Preview to the file. I would like to draw your attention to the nice perl script by Roland Bless called ps2eps. This script is very useful for manipulating ps-files. With option -P you can just remove the Preview and get smaller file. In fact you can replace ps2epsi in elaps by ps2eps (with some fiddling) and you will get smaller files automatically.

Best wishes,
                  Ryszard

--
      Ryszard Tanas                       <mailto:tanas@kielich.amu.edu.pl>