New Release (V1.0.0)

Version 1.0.0 is finally available for download. The new numbering scheme
should follow "standard practice" more closely; what have been called
"release candidates" will be "patch levels" (or whatever) in the third
digit, and "stable releases" will change the second ("minor version")
digit.

As mentioned earlier, I plan not to devote much more energy to 1.x, (which
I feel works but contains serious design limitations), instead focusing on
the re-implementation (a.k.a. TNG, or Version 2.x). The source code for
Version 1.x is on the CVS server savannah.nongnu.org. I plan to upload
pieces of Version 2 in the not-too-distant future. (Haven't looked at it
since June, and need to sort out the working code from the scratch bytes.)

If there are problems with this release, please let me know; I'll hold off
on uploading to CTAN and announcing on freshmeat for a bit. It compiled on
Mac OS X (gcc-3.1), GNU/Linux (gcc-3.2), and Windows (the latest Cygwin)
but wouldn't compile on Solaris with gcc-2.95.3; the problems I know about
are some default arguments, and the std::vector member function "at()",
which the compiler claimed not to know about. The STLports project looks
like a promising approach to using gcc-2.95 with the current sources, but
I haven't checked.

Best wishes for the new academic year!

--Andy

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang@mathcs.holycross.edu
Department of Math and CS	http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)