Re: New release (v0.8.11rc12)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Ryszard Tanas wrote:

> Now fill() works with gray(), and I get nice ellipse (contur line of the
> ellipse looks much better than before), but how about coloring?
> I cannot fill ellipse with color
> fill();
> red();
> does not work. Am I doing something wrong or coloring is not implemented
> yet?

Only gray shades are currently available for filled paths, though it
should be possible to get colors, hatched filling, etc., by embedding
PSTricks code into the output file, something like

  std::cout << "\n\\pspolygon[fillstyle=solid,fillcolor=red]";
  ellipse(...);

Unfortunately, you'd have to edit the resulting eepic file manually, to
remove the "\path" command written by ellipse(). :(

<vaporware_claim>
The Next Generation will provide better functionality for path filling.
</vaporware_claim>

Because of the "procedural" way ePiX currently writes its output, it's not
ideal to implement colors for filled paths yet. However, I'm not averse to
tweaking the curve-drawing functions so that the above trick works without
modifying the eepic file. The input file would then look something like:

  // cf. call syntax for ellipse
  path temp(P(0,0), P(1,0), P(0,1), 0, 2*M_PI);
  std::cout << "\n\\pspolygon[fillstyle=solid,fillcolor=red]";
  temp.draw();

This change (and a couple of other things I Really Want to include in
0.8.11) should be implemented Very Soon...

--Andy

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang@mathcs.holycross.edu
Department of Math and CS	http://math.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)