Re: Install problems under Red Hat 9.0

"Andrew D. Hwang" <ahwang@mathcs.holycross.edu> writes:

> A user reports that when he unpacks the CTAN tarball for version 0.8.10,
> the file permissions are incorrect (all ordinary files are 0664; in
> particular, the shell scripts are not executable). This is under Red Hat
> 9.0. I'm unable to duplicate the problem on my home machine (Mandrake, not
> exactly Red Hat). He has double-checked that he's removed the old source
> directory (the CTAN tarballs unpack into "epix" with no version number),
> and confirms that he's not unpacking or building as root.
>
> If anyone has suggestions (I'm out of ideas...) or can duplicate the
> problem, please let me know. No one else has mentioned this problem, so
> I'm still hopeful the cause originates on the user's machine...

I'm running RedHat 9 here, and I can duplicate the problem, but I have
no idea what's causing it.
Since I get the epix tarballs from the ePiX website, it hasn't been
an issue for me.  Probably most people do the same, which may be why
the problem hasn't been noticed before.

> P.S. When I do "tar ztvf epix.tar.gz" on the CTAN tarball, the permissions
>   *do* show as 0664; however, when I unpack, the permissions are all right.

When I do "tar ztvf epix.tar.gz", I also get 0664, but when I unpack,
I get 0644.
The permissions on ftp.dante.de are 0644, and when you get the tarball
from dante, it just tars up the epix directory on the fly.  So why
doesn't dante have the right permissions?
Also, why do you get the right permissions when you untar.  Why do I
get 0644 instead of 0664 when I untar?

As you can see, I'm happy to provide you with more questions, but I
don't have any answers.

Jay