Install problems under Red Hat 9.0

Hi all,

This is perhaps a tar question, but it's related to epix:)

A user reports that when he unpacks the CTAN tarball for version 0.8.10,
the file permissions are incorrect (all ordinary files are 0664; in
particular, the shell scripts are not executable). This is under Red Hat
9.0. I'm unable to duplicate the problem on my home machine (Mandrake, not
exactly Red Hat). He has double-checked that he's removed the old source
directory (the CTAN tarballs unpack into "epix" with no version number),
and confirms that he's not unpacking or building as root.

If anyone has suggestions (I'm out of ideas...) or can duplicate the
problem, please let me know. No one else has mentioned this problem, so
I'm still hopeful the cause originates on the user's machine...

Thanks, Andy

P.S. When I do "tar ztvf epix.tar.gz" on the CTAN tarball, the permissions
  *do* show as 0664; however, when I unpack, the permissions are all right.
  The only way I could get wrong permissions was by unpacking as root into
  an existing directory, but even that didn't duplicate the problem, since
  I could still build the package.

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang at mathcs dot holycross dot edu
Department of Math and CS	http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)