Re: Problems compiling ePix in Linux

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Hélio C.Bortolon wrote:

> I've been trying to install ePiX on Linux 2.2.x and faced problems with
> the option "-static" on the "COMPILER ..." line of Makefile. Once
> removed, the g++ found the libraries and the ePiX is working ok on the
> samples.

Dear Helio Bortolon,

Thank you for the report! Can you email me (or post) the exact error
messages you got? And (out of curiosity) what distribution and version of
GNU/Linux do you have? (I assume the 2.2.x you mentioned is the kernel
version; please correct me if I'm mistaken.)

Also, what versions of the compiler and C/C++ libraries are you using? In
particular, is the compiler version 2.95.x, or 3.x, or something older?
(Do "g++ -v" to see the compiler version.)

The "-static" flag in the script "epix" is required (on my systems) to
avoid the compiler's trying to link against dynamic libraries when both
static and dynamic libraries of the same name exist.  However, it is safe
to delete the "-static" flag; if needed it can be typed on the command
line. (If you are editing a clean source tree, the line is in the file
"prepix", which is used to create the wrapper script "epix" at compile
time. If "epix" already exists, you can remove the "-static" flag from
"epix" itself.)

Thanks again, and please let us know if there are further problems.

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew D. Hwang			ahwang at mathcs dot holycross dot edu
Department of Math and CS	http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross	(508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395	(508) 793-3530 (fax)