Andrew D. Hwang
Mathematics and Computer Science
Last modified: May 20, 2013
- Tel: (508) 793-2458
- Email: ahwang -at- mathcs -dot- holycros -dot- edu
- 2006-present: College of the Holy Cross, Associate Professor
- 2000-2006: College of the Holy Cross, Assistant Professor
- 1995-1999: University of Toronto, Assistant Professor
- 1994-1995: Osaka University, JSPS Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- 1993-1994: California State University at Hayward, Instructor
- Summer, 1993: University of California, Berkeley, Summer
- Ph.D. 1993 (Mathematics) University of California, Berkeley
- A.B. 1986 (Mathematics) University of California, Berkeley
Scholarly and Professional Work
Global Analysis: Existence of extremal Kähler metrics on
compact manifolds, and energy minimization; variations of the
Differential Geometry of Complex Manifolds:
Momentum construction of Kähler metrics of specified
scalar curvature in Hermitian disk bundles. Conformality of Kähler
metrics to Einstein metrics on complex surfaces.
Complex Algebraic Geometry: Obstructions to existence of
extremal metrics on algebraic manifolds. Existence of Kähler metrics
of constant scalar curvature on manifolds with reductive automorphism
Some of the articles below are available online as PDF files. Please
send email if you'd like hard copies instead.
- A conjecture on the group of biholomorphisms of a nonsingular
Fano variety, Int. J. Math., 4 (1993), 833-9. (with
- On existence of Kähler metrics with constant scalar
curvature, Osaka J. Math., 31 (1994), 561-595.
- On the Calabi energy of Extremal Kähler metrics,
Int. J. Math., 6 (1995), 825-830.
- Extremal metrics and the Calabi energy, Proc. Japan Acad.,
Ser. A, 71, No. 6, (1995) 128-129.
- Distinguished Kähler metrics on Hirzebruch surfaces,
Trans. AMS, 347 (1995), 1013-1021.
(with S. R. Simanca)
- Extremal Kähler metrics on Hirzebruch surfaces which are
locally conformally equivalent to Einstein metrics, Math. Annalen,
309 (1997), 97-106. (with S. R. Simanca)
- A momentum construction for circle-invariant Kähler
metrics, Trans. AMS 354 (2002), 2285-2325. (with
M. A. Singer)
A symplectic look at surfaces of revolution,
l'Enseignement Mathématique 49 (2003), 157-172.
- Central metrics of non-constant curvature, Trans. AMS 356
(2003), 2183-2203. (with G. Maschler)
- Neutrally stable fixed points of the QR algorithm, Int. J.
of Numerical Analysis and Modeling 1 (2004), 147-156. (with
Spacetime slices and surfaces of revolution,
J. Math. Phys., 45 (2004) 4551-4559.
(with J. T. Giblin, Jr.)
- Paper Surface Geometry: Surveying a locally Euclidean
universe, Amer. Math. Monthly, 120 (2013), 487-499.
- Writing in the Age of LaTeX,
Notices of the AMS, 42 (1995), 878-884.
A utility for creating mathematically accurate
figures, TUGboat, 25 (2004), 172-176.
at Distributed Proofreaders and the electronic preservation of
mathematical literature at Project Gutenberg,
TUGboat, 32 (2011), 32-38.
Public Domain ebooks
Listed on a separate page.
- ePiX--a utility for creating camera-quality line figures
in LaTeX, available from
CTAN or the
- pglatex--programs used at
Project Gutenberg to
prepare LaTeX ebooks for publication.